Thursday, June 2, 2011

Give Us, Us Free!

“Give us, us free!”

No, that’s not the sound of my 7th & 8th graders anxiously awaiting summer vacation.  It was the sound of my scalp, hair & follicles crying out after being in braids for 2 months!  My plan was to make it from Spring Break (beg. of Apr.) to the end of the school year (middle of June), but I simply couldn’t take it anymore.  Plus after a couple braids that were on my temples suddenly appeared on my floor, I knew that my head just couldn’t handle it anymore.  So, Memorial Day weekend, I spent many hours carefully shedding those braids!

Now that my hair is back to usual, I have 3 things I want to discuss...and they all start with the letter C!

Color:  Back in December I went to the salon and got my hair colored.  I went to Faye at Faye’s Beauty Salon in the New Center area, and was very pleased with the consultation and service.  I really liked how Faye LOVED working with my hair in its natural state.  Anyway, my hair has grown some since then, and the color is now in the middle/ends of my hair, which I think looks super neat.  I had contemplated getting a touch up of color, but I’m kind of digging the middle/end bursting with color thing.

Cowashing: I have heard lots about cowashing, but have been leery to try it.  My goal this summer is to dabble in cowashing.  I figure, if it goes wrong, at least I won’t have to go in to work the next day!  I bought some more conditioner at the beauty supply (I don’t want to use the my Joico on weekly cowashes...just for deep conditioning) and can’t wait to get started.

Castor Oil: So, at the last hair-meetup, someone mentioned Jamaican Black Castor Oil for the scalp.  I couldn’t find that in any store, so I settled for some generic castor oil.  I must say, I really like using it!  I have a really dry scalp, and most oils don’t do anything for me.  I had been using Isoplus Natural Collection: Braids, Locks, & Twists Scalp Moisturizer because it truly moisturizes my scalp the way I need.  However, I was looking for something else because I get nervous about putting substances on my skin that are man made (ie. Propylene Glycol, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Diazolidinyl Urea!?!?!?!?!).  I will try this for awhile and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment