Saturday, July 23, 2011

Operation: Length Retention -- GIGO

When I was a teenager, there was a saying floating around Evangelical youth groups of America, "Garbage In; Garbage Out."  The thought was that if you put negative/bad things in your life, you'd be adversely affected, whereas if you input good things, you'd become more like Christ.

Regardless, I have been trying to apply this concept in terms of taking care of my hair by putting good things into my body.  I stumbled upon the Kim Coles' Grow-Out Challenge at the end of June.  It's too late to enter the contest, but I still want to do the project because I want to grow healthier hair.  Part of the challenge is to drink 64 ounces of water a day.  What could be a better thing to put into the body?

I'm not the greatest at picturing measurements and sizes in my head (omg, ikr...what kind of science teacher am I????), so at first I thought 64 ounces would be no problem.  I thought I already drank a lot of water.  When I measured it out, it turned out to be enough water to fill an entire pitcher.

I love this pitcher...I got it at a garage sale a few years ago.

Anyway, as it turns out, drinking a whole pitcher of water every day is not as easy as it seems.  I started at the beginning of this month, which was the hardest.  It has become easier with each day passing.  I will say, even though I now have to pee like a madman, my skin seems clearer.  Also, my body seems to tolerate the multi-vitamin I take every day.  Before drinking all of this water, my body didn't seem to like the vitamin so much.  I am looking forward to seeing the long-term effects of this process!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelli, you have a very nice blog. I'm stopping over from the "All Things O'Natural" blog. Great feature!

    I need to get on board with this 64 oz a day of water. Somehow I got accustomed not to drinking that much water for the sake of not having to go to the bathroom all the time (I teach too), but I do realize it's beneficial to my own health not to do that. So, I guess I better get my pitcher ready. lol Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Libby! I'm glad you came by. To be honest, I've slipped a couple of times in the past week b/c I made some punch and have been using my pitcher for that. But once the punch is gone, I'll go back to measuring my daily requirement.

    Btw, when I student taught, one of my cooperating teachers advised me to drink water & go to the bathroom as often as I needed while at school (sometimes just asking someone to watch the room) otherwise I'd get "teacher bladder." That scared me straight, lol.

    ReplyDelete