Sunday, September 11, 2011

Um, Yeah...We're Done!

So, this year marked my 10-year anniversary of my on-again, off-again, quite complicated relationship with Proactiv.  We are getting a divorce.

I can't even get all of this crap to fit in my trash can!

As a high schooler, my acne seemed to go from bad to worse.  My mom would try to "help" me, but I wanted to be left alone.  I kept hoping that if I didn't talk about it, it would just go away.  Well, that didn't happen. And by the time I was a senior, she went on a limb & ordered Proactiv.

It worked pretty well.  Except for the side effects.  The solution has a bleaching agent, so many of my clothes, sheets, pillowcases, etc. are/were discolored because of it.  Also, the mask uses sulfur, so I was walking around smelling like rotten eggs.  Yeah.  Not the business.

Over the years, I have realized that what it truly comes down to is that I have extremely sensitive skin, especially on my face.  I can't use scented anything (lotion, detergent, soaps, etc.); I have to keep things that touch my face (ie. the phone) really clean, & I can't have things (or ppl ;-) ) touching my face for long periods of time.  Otherwise, I WILL break out.

I've mentioned it before, but I've been on a quest to use beauty products that do not have synthetic ingredients.  Which is why I was OVERJOYED to find that SheaMoisture has an acne treatment kit!  It's at Target.


It costs more than the regular SheaMoisture products...about $16, but it's well worth the purchase!  I have really smooth, clear skin & I LOVE that it uses natural ingredients.

I also think that drinking a TON more water, keeping my hands off my face, & changing my communication methods have helped a whole lot.  I changed my cell phone plan so that I finally have unlimited texting...so I do that a lot more instead of calling.  Also, if I know I'm going to be on the phone for a long time, I have been using Google Talk on my computer, so that I don't have to hold anything to my face.

Finally, the skin I always wanted! :-D

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try the Shea Moisture set then. I tried Proactiv and then when I tried to get out of the membership, they offered their sensitive skin version??? Anyhoo, I finally ended that because what I've realized about my skin is that I can't use the same product of any kind for too long. In the end, my skin will dry out and become red in certain areas and will literally burn. So, I rotate. And I will try Shea Moisture. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No prob! Yeah, sometimes the Proactiv would make dark spots on my face...so happy to be done with them!

    ReplyDelete